The Coalition Government is determined to make Australia a safer place by excluding people who seek to do us harm or have a known history of criminal behaviour, the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection Peter Dutton said today.
An Irish man, with an extensive criminal history in Northern Ireland, was successfully removed from Australia on Wednesday. The man arrived in Dublin last night after entering Australia on a Working Holiday Visa in January 2013 and failed to declare his criminal past on arrival.
Mr Dutton said this removal is a warning to other people who are planning to apply for an Australian visa and try to hide their criminal past.
'Australia will not be a destination for criminals to avoid charges in other countries,' Mr Dutton said.
'The man did not declare his previous criminal convictions in Ireland which included possession of drugs and bomb-making material.
'I have previously made it clear that one of my priorities would be to remove those with serious criminal behaviour who are not Australian citizens. This is another example of a criminal removed from the Australian community.
'People who do not respect the law and do not uphold the values of Australia are not welcome,' Mr Dutton said.