Disaster assistance has been made available for communities in the local government areas of Cootamundra-Gundagai, Greater Hume, Hilltops and Parkes that were affected by storms and floods in late January and early February.
Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) in response to:
- the Parkes and Greater Hume storms from 22 January 2019; and
- the Hilltops and Cootamundra-Gundagai storms and floods from 5 February 2019.
Minister for Emergency Management and North Queensland Recovery Senator the Hon. Linda Reynolds CSC said the Commonwealth and NSW governments were working together to ensure communities had the necessary assistance to help them recover.
“These severe storms affected communities across the region, with temporary loss of power to thousands of homes and damaged roads restricting access to essential supplies and services,” Minister Reynolds said.
“Financial support is now available to help affected individuals, small businesses, primary producers, and local councils get back on their feet.”
NSW Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott said a significant and coordinated multi-agency and community response was required in response to the storms.
“The NSW State Emergency Service received over 250 requests for assistance, which saw the deployment of emergency services volunteers and other personnel, including those from the NSW Rural Fire Service,” Mr Elliott said.
“There have been significant impacts across the region, including loss of livestock and disruptions to agricultural production.”
Assistance measures available under the DRFA may include:
- help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged;
- support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets;
- concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations;
- freight subsidies for primary producers, and
- grants to eligible non-profit organisations.
Further information on disaster assistance is available on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at disasterassist.gov.au and response website at emergency.nsw.gov.au.