Loading

Thursday, 19 September 2019
Media release

Joint media release with the Hon David Elliott MP - Bushfire assistance for the Hunter region

Disaster assistance has been made available for Muswellbrook and Singleton communities affected by bushfires in mid-February.

Assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Federal Minister for Natural Disaster and Emergency Management David Littleproud said that firefighters had been tested by simultaneous blazes that burnt across the region.

“No properties were destroyed thanks to the preparedness of local communities and the efforts of volunteers and firefighters,” Minister Littleproud said.

“Assistance is now available to help firefighting agencies cover the costs of their operations.”

NSW Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott said that a significant firefighting effort was required to protect lives and rural properties.

“I’d like to praise the efforts of our first responders, who acted quickly to protect the communities under threat,” Minister Elliott said.

“The NSW Rural Fire Service battled challenging weather conditions and quickly deployed significant aerial firefighting resources to contain the fires."

For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444. To apply for a concessional loan, grant or freight subsidy, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit raa.nsw.gov.au.

Further information on disaster assistance is available on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at disasterassist.gov.au and the NSW emergency information and response website at emergency.nsw.gov.au.