Loading

Tuesday, 14 November 2023
Media release

Statement on NSW Central West floods - 12 months on

​The Federal Emergency Management Minister has paid tribute to the resilience and determination of New South Wales' Central West residents, 12 months on from the devastating flooding that hit the region.

Since then, hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of assistance has been provided to residents, farmers, businesses and local councils across NSW to recover and rebuild from the devastating floods late last year.

Minister Murray Watt said the Albanese Government had stood with locals during the flooding, after the event and will continue to support them into the future.

“The force of the Central West floods were terrifying and heartbreaking,” Minister Watt said.

“I remember well the scale of damage from my own visits to Eugowra, Forbes, Dubbo and other parts of the Central West in the aftermath of the floods.

“But the way in which the community has rallied around each other has been incredible to see.

“More than half a billion dollars in joint funding from the Albanese and Minns Government has been committed to assist primary producers, small and medium sized businesses, rural landholders, renters and community groups recovering from the NSW floods, including in the Central West.

“We’ve also provided tangible on the ground accommodation assistance for people who lost their homes in the Central West.”

Minister Watt said last week, more funding was committed to help the region’s recovery from last year’s devastating floods and build resilience for the future.

“The Albanese Government agreed to match funding announced by the Minns Government to deliver $100 million more in joint recovery support to the Central West.

“This package includes support for the repair and replacement of critical community assets, improving the resilience of public infrastructure and legal aid assistance.

“It also includes an in principle commitment to match funding to deliver a $40 million resilient housing program for the Central West, with details of the program to be agreed following consultation with the local community.

“This brings the total commitment for these programs to $100 million jointly funded by the Albanese and Minns Governments, for the LGAs of Cabonne, Lachlan, Parkes and Forbes.

“We will continue to support the Central West as it recovers.

“I’d also like to acknowledge the persistent advocacy of the local Mayors and the Member for Calare, Andrew Gee MP over the past 12 months to get where we are today.”


FAST FACTS:
In response to the NSW flooding (September-November 2022)

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payments

AGDRP claims granted

AGDRP payments

DRA claims granted

DRA payments

21,869

$26,374.441

1864

$7,254,351

 

Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements, jointly funded with NSW Government

Category C and D measure

Funding amount paid out

Primary producer grants up to $75,000

$268 million

Small Businesses and Not-for-profit organisation grants up to $50,000

$85.2 million

Rural Landholder grants up to $10,000

$5.9 million

Local Council grants up to $1 million

$47.5 million

Clean-up assistance program

$39.3 million

Back Home grants up to $20,000

$63.7 million

Rental Support Scheme

$10.9 million

Property Damage Assessment Program

$8.9 million

Community Volunteer and Non-Government Organisation program

$9.1 million

Medium-sized Business Support Grants

$6.1 million

Total

$544.6 million